Monday 5 September 2016

Walsingham

Here's a card I got recently.



It's called Walsingham and it's No. 16 in the series. It was quite funny seeing this card listed on some auction sites under "England".
Walsingham House was built in 1652 for the Trott family. However it is most famous because of one person who lived there for a few months. He was called Tom Moore, known as the Irish Poet  who at the time (1804) came to Bermuda as Registrar of the Court of Vice-Admiralty. It seems he was very bored in Bermuda and didn't last long! There is a calabash tree that Moore referred to in his poems and songs and it is about 200 yards from the house.
The house became a tavern over a hundred years ago and is now called Tom Moore's Tavern. I'm guessing it didn't change it's name until some time later as this postcard still calls it by it's old name.
I visited the tavern when I was in Bermuda in June. Unfortunately it doesn't open for lunch (only dinner) so I didn't see it inside. It is a very popular restaurant and even Prince Charles ate there in 1970!



Here's a picture I took of the tavern in June. Unfortunately I forgot to look for the calabash tree!



I wasn't able to take a photo of Walsingham from over the water as in the original postcard, but this photo was taken from in front of Walsingham (or Tom Moore's Tavern) looking back to roughly where the original water colour would have been painted.

If you ever visit Tom Moore's Tavern, it's not too far from the Fantasy and Crystal Caves, as well as the famous Swizzle Inn and Ice Cream Parlor!

No comments:

Post a Comment